Crofters Sous Chef Recruitment
“To apply a modern and progressive approach to traditional Scottish hospitality, with commitment to a sustainable crofting lifestyle, on a Scottish island.”
Crofters is a cosy wee bistro on the Isle of Arran, specialising in home-cooked food, Scottish Craft Beers and Spirits, with regular live music. We are a close-knit, family-run business with a strong focus on locally grown and Scottish provenance.
We have earned a reputation for being quirky, innovative, entertaining and welcoming. We have a fully inclusive approach to our customers’ preferences, with imaginative vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free dishes - alongside the very best of local meats and fresh seafood.
We take pride in our business development, application of technology and are passionate about delivering the best possible experience of authentic island hospitality, with warmth and humour.
We showcase the vibrancy of local food and drink offerings, with a seasonally dependent menu and high-quality drinks, incorporating foraged ingredients and our own-made produce.
Crofters has developed from being a music bar and bistro into a smallholding, rural lifestyle brand, which showcases grassroots, acoustic musicians both online and in the restaurant. Locally sourced, hyper-seasonal produce is used to create an intriguing menu, with “Artisan larder staples” available to order online. We also compound and rectify spirits and liqueurs for both consumer markets and the on-trade.
Finally, as our pièce de résistance, we take the whole Crofters experience aboard a historic Dutch sailing barge, to offer immersive experiences of West Coast culture for corporate events, private cruises and day sails.
We are looking for an experienced and commercially-minded Sous Chef who has a passion for fresh, local, seasonal wild foods; including preservations (and all aspects of compliance), to develop the food element of the Crofters brand alongside our ambitious and driven team.
The successful applicant will be our second chef to support the head chef to create and cost our menu; recruit and train the team; work directly with suppliers and ensure high-quality, attention to detail and commitment to the company brand ethos and guidelines. This is an opportunity for a passionate Junior Sous or Senior Chef de Partie to join a small, growing, family-run team and make their mark. A fresh clean slate, with inclusion of a new production unit kitchen, new team, an alfresco dining area and sailing cruises.
We’re offering a competitive pro rata salary (negotiable), plus tips through tronc, on a 4 on 3 off, 5 on 4 off, rota (open to discussion) with free accommodation in well-appointed shared staff house whilst on shift. We are a Real Living Wage company looking to attain Sustainability in Hospitality, Fair Hospitality Employer and Coeliac Friendly accreditation. Career progression, company discount, professional training/qualifications and personal development are all intrinsic to the way we approach our business.
We’re right at the beginning of our growth stage and are looking to fill positions with individuals who are driven, have an entrepreneurial mindset and a solid understanding of the science, literature and fundamentals of the industry. with ambitions to growth and develop a career. A high level of integrity and self-motivation is required. We are looking for individuals who want to contribute to the growth and development of a small family run business. A meaningful equity stake in the business may be available to the right candidate.
You will report directly to the Head Chef and work alongside the business owners to deliver and develop the food aspect of Crofters.
Responsibilities include, but not limited too:
- Directing the food preparation process and delegating tasks
- Cooking and preparing high quality dishes
- Assisting the Head Chef to create menu items, recipes and develop dishes
- Liaising with Front of house to deliver service
- Supervising, motivating and working closely with other Chefs of all levels
- Being responsible for health and safety
- Being responsible for food hygiene practices
- Ensuring food quality and excellent standards are maintained for all dishes created
- Assisting with determining food inventory needs, stocking and ordering
- Ensuring the kitchen meets all regulations including sanitary and food safety guidelines
- Developing, writing, implementing and recording HACCP policies and procedures
Equally, the ideal candidate will
- Be committed to sustainability, minimising food waste and sourcing locally
- Have excellent communication skills to converse well with all members of the team, including owner, directors and management colleagues.
- Have excellent team management skills
- Have high level of attention to detail
- Have good level of numeracy and command of the English language
- Have excellent use of IT systems, MacOS and Microsoft packages
- Be enthusiastic to develop your own skills and knowledge plus those around you
- Be adaptable to change and willingness to embrace new ideas and processes
- Have enthusiasm for foraging, working with wild foods and fresh seasonal produce
- Have passion for homemade produce and food production, including fermentations, preservations, sauces, vinegars, cheeses etc.
- Be ability to work unsupervised and deliver quality work
- Have a positive and approachable manner
- Have credentials in health and safety training
- Have Food Safety level 3 or above, or be willing to complete before commencement of employment.
Under "normal" circumstances we have 40 covers inside with 80 covers outside - staggered reservations on a 2-hour window. Inside gross capacity is 140-180 covers daily; outside 200. Kitchen opening hours 12-10pm daily. Shift patterns 10am - 10.30pm with 1hour lunch break + 2 x 15minutes, 40/45 hours weekly average.
The Isle of Arran is considered Scotland in miniature and showcases the wonderful scenery, wildlife, culture, outdoor pursuits and hospitality of that of Scotland and the Celtic nations. Arran is a stunning place, with a strong local community and flourishing tourism trade. You will be joining a relaxed, friendly team of professionals in a highly social environment, so you will quickly become part of the island community. You will also get to see some great local and visiting bands. We actively forage for wild botanicals and herbs to use in our products, work closely with local suppliers and fishermen, grow our own fruit and veg, and volunteer with the local community lands to help grow produce and support the charitable element to promote positive mental health and benefits of being outdoors. There will also be the opportunity to cook on the cruises and travel with the team to events.
Our ultimate ambition is to replicate Crofters Arran elsewhere with multiple venues. We are looking for someone to join us who has ambitions of being head chef in a second location or on the cruises.
Expected start date: 05/07/2021
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From £28,000.00 per year